Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wow, that's... really interesting.

As I've pointed out before, the Kotlas orphanage turned 25 earlier this year.  The anniversary hasn't passed unnoticed - I stumbled across an interesting, professionally edited video of Kotlas orphanage as it turns 25.


Фильм к 25-летию Котласского дома ребенка (2013 г.) from Plusnin Alexandr on Vimeo.

Even though I don't understand the Russian, the video is actually really interesting for its look at a lot of different places in the orphanage and shots of what kids of all ages do during the day.  We get to see some of the things that Elena probably experienced, that we never had a chance to see.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could give them all a home! Beautiful children, the video portrays a great home....I pray it's not for show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we see in the video is pretty consistent with what we saw in person, and heard about from other sources, so I doubt it's just for show. I've heard that the Kotlas orphanage is a little different from the typical Russian orphanage, in large part because of the ideas of the director (Sergei Yurov, who they interview throughout the video). And yes, a lot of beaeutiful children. Many are adopted, but... some are not. :(

      Delete