Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hurry up and wait... actually, no just HURRY UP!

So we just got word this morning--we leave for Russia on Saturday.  That's right, this Saturday, August 20th.  We've been expecting to leave, shortly, for quite some time, so we're not exactly unprepared, but the minimal advance notice was something of a surprise.

The main reason for this trip is to appear before the court to petition for adoption.  That happens next week Friday.  However, part of the reason for the quick take-off is that, due to some last minute rule-changes we're expected to visit Elena before the court hearing (previously, we were explicitly expected *not* to visit her).  So, all things considered, I don't think we can be all that peevish about the aggressive scheduling.

Here's our schedule for next week:
Saturday, Aug. 20 - Leave Detroit
Sunday, Aug. 21 - Arrive in St.Petersburg
Monday, Aug. 22 - Fly to Arkhangelsk and then to Kotlas
Tuesday, Aug. 23 - Visit Elena
Wednesday, Aug. 24 - Visit Elena
Thursday, Aug. 25 - Fly back to Arkhangelsk and prepare for court hearing
Friday, Aug. 26 - Appear in court, then take flight back to St.Petersburg
Saturday, Aug. 27 - One day of sightseeing
Sunday, Aug. 28 - Depart from St.Petersburg back to the US

There's a two-week waiting period before the adoption is finalized, so we'll return to Russia just... about... September 11th.  More or less.

5 comments:

  1. I'm still praying for a smooth adoption. Well, as smooth as it gets. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that was from me, Judy. I guess I should put my name in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Good luck. God speed. Happy trails and all that stuff. I will be thinking of you guys. Give Elena a hug for me. -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates! Nice to learn a bit about my adopted "great niece!" So happy for you. Now you're a real ma-ma and pa-pa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly where me n my wife r right now, soon leaving Sweden for court in Russia. Reading your blog is like reading my own past. So from here on I guess I´ll look inte the future ;)

    ReplyDelete